Monday, August 11, 2008

OLYMPIC BOXING SKULLDUGGERY

There are more weird Olympic boxing scoring stories.

Roy Jones Jr. Robbed in Korea (years later they did it to the Italians in the World Cup)


One of the most action-packed preliminary bouts in the ongoing Beijing Olympics that I was able to watch on my laptop is one between light heavyweight Bastie Zamir of Ghana, who was supposed to lose to Dauda Izobo of Nigeria. I thought the Ghanaian was supposed to end just like a synapse, a mere statistic, until Zamir changed the script by knocking his opponent down three times to score an RSC (referee stop contest) in the third round.


Punch statisticians or CompuBox reports, mainly used in professional boxing will be put to no use here. Olympic boxing scoring continues to suffer poorly like the way I saw it. It was pathetic.

I have to air this sentiment because I could still remember my friend Ron Delos Reyes's hoarse "We were robbed" spiel on Mansueto "Onyok" Velasco Jr. from way back in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics where the Filipino came so close to winning the Philippines' first gold. Flashes of that day kept reverberating after I saw this inconsequential Zamir-Izobo fight. What do I care if any of them won or lost? I did not even have to root for any of them because I neither knew both...For Full Story

I saw a new one today the boxing match between China (Li Yang) and Brazil (Robson Conceicao) today. The Brazilian hit the Chinese several times clearly but it wasn't scored which had me really amused. The scoring in this Olympics is UNBELIEVABLE. Can you believe the huge difference in most of the fights? In fact, some fights were close than the scorelines indicate.Yesterday US boxer Javier Molina scored a point against the Bulgarian Boris Georgiev (14!). The Eastern European was tagged several times by the American but the referees must be blind not see to that. The scores are definitely much closer than the 14-1 they want me to believe.

He's Bulgarian like the guy who cheated Mansueto Velasco in 1996 Atlanta Olympics. Let us see if he can duplicate (as in dupe) his countryman's feat 12 years ago.

Related Posts by Categories



No comments: