Sunday, July 5, 2009

Taishou Yakyuu Musume Update / Impressions / Review

Taishou Yakyuu Musume had its debut yesterday and I think I'm tuning in. The first episode isn't that memorable (yet) but the story is nice as it gives us insight about 1920s Japan. My impression of the episode was the Japanese were in a hurry to Westernize - shedding off traditional clothing to sailor uniform in their schools. Those sailor uniforms are so....The lead character Kuome out of nowhere suddenly sang about old Tokyo and its scenic places. Some thought it was childish. I thought anime is primarily made for Japanese youngsters who may not be as jaded as some people are. I had no problems with that sequence.

Kuome and her friend Akiko are forward-looking women. There are many restrictions that hamper their life in 1920s Japan (like other parts of the world during that time) it is interesting to know how will the girls overcome this. In fact forming a baseball team alone seems like a monumental task but they won't give up. Society seems to love putting the girls in a little box during those days but the girls want more.

When I watch animes there are two things that keep me glued, first one is the no. of funny moments - the more the better. Secondly, when one problem gets resolved in an episode - or solved in an amazing manner (see Fruits Basket for reference), I'll continue watching it. So far I'll give Taishou Yakyuu Musume a chance - it's not that funny but I want to see if they ever get their revenge. I hope the show gets better as it goes along.


I'll write a more decent review once the series is finished so as to be fair. This isn't strictly a review just my notes on the series.

Update:

Now airing if you want to watch

Related Posts by Categories



No comments: